Sunday, July 29, 2007

Palmyra--Where The Story Begins



Day 13—100 miles
We left Canada this morning and then waited at least an hour to make it across the bridge through US border agents. I am glad I brought our passports although the agent still had me turn off the car and please remove your sunglasses—go figure. We listened to Harry Potter and are now about half way through the 3rd book. We got to Palmyra about 2:00 checked into our room and then drove the short distance to the Palmyra Temple—it reminds me of the Louisville Temple— it’s about the same size and there are lots of very green rolling hills with very dense forest areas. We were able to take the tour of the Smith log house and also the other home the Smith family built—just up the road from the log house. For a house built in 1820’s Lucy Smith had an awesome house—I was vey impressed with the soapstone wet sink she had in her kitchen—it even drained to the outside. From there we walked through the sacred grove about ¾ of a mile through very dense green underbrush and trees. The pictures of Joseph in the grove you’ve seen come alive walking through the grove. It was very peaceful—I think my testimony has grown in ways I can’t even put into words—What I’ve seen and just as importantly felt has changed some abstract concepts into very real defined thoughts and images. Nauvoo and Kirtland tell the story of what all started here in Palmyra. From the spit rail fence in front of the Smith log house you can see the Palmyra Temple—I wonder what Joseph would feel seeing that view now. Tomorrow we head for New York City and will stop on the way to visit the hill Cumorah
This hotel in Palmyra is very family friendly—we played ping pong and air hockey after dinner—Ernie can barely beat me at ping pong and I can beat him back at air hockey—the boys are both terrible at ping pong—it must be a learned talent. Signing off :)

2 comments:

lacey said...

I can't wait to see you and get a complete review of all the tours you have been on. Just looking at these pictures is awesome! I hope we can go there so soon.

Melissa and Chad said...

Mom are you still smiling? I love you and hope your dream of this adventure continues to be great! I love you! :)