Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Joseph Smith Grave--Nauvoo

Day 8 and 9
Nauvoo to Champaign, ILL—220 miles
We spent Monday exploring the sights of Nauvoo—it began at the Visitors Center and a horse drawn wagon ride and ended Monday evening with a walk down the Trail of Hope. It was a “do over” day—I loved being there, walking the streets and feeling the powerful spirit that can be felt from a city that holds such a rich history. Ernie said he felt sad—at the way fate unfolded and the early saints bore such trials and hardships. They also claimed their faith and bore such a powerful testimony of courage—it’s amazing that they accomplished all they did. I hope I think twice or three times the next time I start to whine. Tuesday Ernie and I were able to attend a temple session—Wow. It was such a treat to see and share in what those early Saints also loved and sacrificed so much for. We left Nauvoo about 1:00 driving to Champaign, Ill—about 3 ½ hours. The drive was uneventful—we had plenty of fuel and didn’t need to fill up. Our hotel upgraded our room to a king and it has a big jetted tub—the boys are swimming, they serve warm cookies, and I have laundry in the coin machine—life is good.
Tomorrow we’re off to Kirtland, Ohio

2 comments:

Melissa and Chad said...

You are all so lucky! I wish I had those expierences when I was my brothers age. Keep posting! Miss you and love you

Susie said...

What a neat trip! I keep hoping that one day Lynn will actually leave the office for a long trip to see all these sights- hopefully soon! Can't wait to read more...