Monday, July 30, 2007

A Day In the City--New York City That Is






Day 15
New York City
Because our hotel is in New Jersey, we took the train into Penn Station and Madison Square Garden. It was just a short walk to the Empire State Building—but a very long line to first buy a ticket and then an even longer line to get into an elevator to ride to the 86 floor. It was a beautiful day in spite of what looks like smog in the picture. They said visibility was 5 miles. We could see the Statue of Liberty on Ellis Island—but she looked very small in comparison to all the sky scrapers. From the Empire State Building we took the subway to China town. I have very fond memories of visiting China town in SF so I was disappointed to find China town in New York—crowded and dirty with lots of only junk stores. I am glad we came but don’t think I’d ever need to visit again. We got back on the subway and stopped on 34th street to visit the biggest Macy’s store ever. I understand it is the biggest department store in the world. We had a late lunch and I wondered what it would be like to be here for the Macy’s parade—too crowded I am sure. A 10 minute train ride back to New Jersey and we’ll regroup for tomorrow—my feet were killing me--we’ll visit ground zero and then catch the ferry to Ellis Island and the Liberty Lady. It was a good day with a bonus because we didn’t get lost once and didn’t lose each other either. Shopping isn’t nearly as fun with 3 boys but it’s been a very positive experience for all of us to share this time together. This is such a beautiful land we live in—I will never be ungrateful again for what we have—it is bar none simply the BEST.

1 comment:

lacey said...

I love reading where you are and what you experience! It is awesome to me that you have done so much in such a small amount of time. I hope you might make it to Serendipity?