Day 19
I love it here! I love seeing the places that match the stories that we hear about-- starting from elementary school. I love hearing about the men and women that showed such courage and laid the foundation for much of what we have now. Today we met with an aid from Senator Craig’s office for a tour of the Capitol building. We walked through rooms where much of our government—past and present has led our country through war and peace, triumph and failures. We walked through the first supreme court –very small in comparison to the supreme court we know to day but—it was impressive! The paintings, wall murals, statues, wood work and some of the tile floors—Wow! Unfortunately, I was in such a hurry to not be late that I left my camera in our room—so sad. Our next stop was the Holocaust Museum—a very sobering way to spent the rest of the afternoon. The museum is 4 stories of a very large building dedicated to the memories of a very tragic time. Isaac spent several weeks last year learning about the Holocaust in school and yet was overwhelmed with the images and items on display that were sad reminders of what had happened in a not so distant past. We entered the museum and were given identity cards that told the story of a real person who had experienced the Holocaust. It has to be a sad state to know that that level of evil is possible. I left again feeling glad that the burden of that horrible time is not something I had to carry and wondering how anyone could. After a late lunch we walked the few blocks to the Ford Theater—the place President Lincoln was assassinated—again much more of an impact to see in person. Tomorrow we have tickets to visit the Washington Memorial and then a stop to the Smithsonian—I will not forget my camera again!
Friday, August 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ok, I can comment since you visited mine! I am such a baby I know. Mom, I am so glad you are loving DC. I am sure it is a place I too would love. Kelli Riches has found my blog and she lives in NY and I am sure she feels the same as you...not your favorite. Have a good day tomorrow and take lots of pix. Please tell my brothers I said Hi and cannot wait to see them! Be safe, love you!
Post a Comment