



As many of you who know me very well know, I have a varied and sometimes strange assortment of collections—I started having children when I was just 19 and by the time I was 25 I had collected 4 sweet little girls. Although they’re not little any more they are the very best and most cherished of my collections. They have enriched my life in ways I can only begin to list and my relationships with them are priceless.

A little later I found the most charming antique salt spoons at the DeAnza flea and simply couldn’t resist and so bought the beginning of my salt spoon collection. I have a few on display and actually use them with the accompanying salt cellars. I still wonder why we ever stopped using them—because I still think they are so charming.

I am pretty sure that sometime long, long ago—like in the life before I was in charge of a bunny farm. As a result of that past life I now have many—well several bunnies in my house. I probably have one or two in every room of my house although you’d have to look to find them.


And lastly I love Halloween and have some unknown connection to the whole witch thing. I’d like to believe it has nothing to do with witch behavior or even looking like a witch. I hate heights and so am pretty sure the whole riding on a broom thing would never work for me—but I do seem to enjoy having several out in my house during October—hence the pictures of this newly created witch. I love her hat and especially her shoes :)
I have continued to add to some of my collections. I added 2 little boys with my marriage to Ernie and continue to add a salt spoon or bunny from time to time. Several years ago at my Grandmothers funeral there was a table displaying all the chickens she had collected during the last several years of her life. She had 22 grandchildren and as we left that afternoon each of us were able to pick a chicken to take home with us. I still have that chicken and I still remember her collection on high shelves around her home. But more, I remember sweet memories of being in her home, watching her in her gardens and spending family dinners with her. I hope that one day after I am gone those I love will remember with a smile these odd things that help to describe and define me but mostly I hope I leave a memory of being a wife, mother, sister and daughter who loves and collects bits and pieces from those I love most.
6 comments:
What a PERFECT PERFECT post. You are a collector! You made me cry. I love all your collections- but the collection of sisters you gave me is by far the best. And the added on boys tops it all off. Your pictures said it all perfectly. Thank you!
Hey, how can I get a witch like her? She is darling. She has layers of fabric and I love how her face turned out. What the heck? Why did I not get this part of you?
I second the motion....a perfect post, I'd give it a 10! I too love all of your collections! They all make you my Mom, unique and wonderful. Hmmm...wonder what the connection to witches is then? :) You are so funny! Thank you for sharing your little witch with us. Yeah...where can I get one of those?
That was perfect!! I can't believe how little we were in that picture. You better keep collecting bunnies so that everyone will get one from you- the spoons are a different story. So when are you going to start making witches for us girls :) ?
Okay, I have the same exact bunny wind vane at my house! My kids like to make fun of all the assorted animals I have around the house but if I can't have a collection of real ones in my yard I'll just have to collect the others! I have so loved reading about you and the girls- you're such a sweet example of the spirit!
what are those strange old witches?! OMG.. I mean, OMH!! (heck). I mean.. wow! so coooool!! I want one. Well, I onlly want one if they come with powers. My husband... yeah... I need it. :) oops (not happy)... :\
Post a Comment